[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 3
  • »
Forum » Out of Character » OOC Area » Whats left
Whats left
Merkillum_VeersDate: Saturday, 05-Mar-2011, 1:37 AM | Message # 1
Original Site member
Group: Users
Alright, I will be gone as I mentioned somewhere for a bit.

However, I was just curious what we have left to do. I may write up some stuff such as the NR did with ranks and positions and battle fleet breakdowns.

But other then fine details, what else is left to do, before the R&D step. Also, with the R&D, what are we looking into? Will this be 'pre game' R&D, or will it be the start of the IC R&D?

John04Date: Saturday, 05-Mar-2011, 8:15 AM | Message # 2
Colonel
I believe that it will be 'pre game' R&D as you put it. The IC R&D will begin in the following month.

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power...

KalThanatosDate: Thursday, 10-Mar-2011, 8:03 PM | Message # 3
Original Site Manager
Everything looks good so far. I believe that we can begin R&D as soon as possible. I'll get the rules up for it here in just a minute. The last thing that we will need is a finalized damage chart consisting of everything that we want to have in it. Once we have that complete and the R&D is underway, we can get things rolling

Added (10-Mar-2011, 8:03 PM)
---------------------------------------------
There's one more thing I wanna cover here. That is ground vehicles. I know we used to have a way of limiting the amount of vehicles one could use at a time, but I can't find anything on it.

Merk had brought something up to me in PM, and I would like to make sure that a faction can't just send down a bunch of tanks that can wipe the floor with everything down on the ground.

Any ideas?

John04Date: Thursday, 10-Mar-2011, 8:25 PM | Message # 4
Colonel
We could have it that unless it's for storyline purposes, nobody can deploy a ground force equaling greater than 50% of the defending force. That would prevent any faction from overwhelming the other and both would have to use tactics and strategy. Also the terrain would be a factor. For example, one couldn't use repulsorlift-based vehicles on Jabiim while on worlds like Bespin or Mon Calamari you couldn't use walkers or even wheeled vehicles. It would depend on the situation for those details and they could be gone over before each ground battle to figure out 'handicaps' and such.

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power...

KalThanatosDate: Thursday, 10-Mar-2011, 8:35 PM | Message # 5
Original Site Manager
Ok...I like having that instead of a list or chart to follow. It makes sense too.

LordZarcaineDate: Thursday, 10-Mar-2011, 9:18 PM | Message # 6
Lieutenant
could I get a DSNT page up like the Shadow Hand. Plus I still need Dark Jedi Master Kulan put on the Shadow Hand page as the listener for the Shadow Hand. With the DSNT page I'll need Yoru Shakou added as the C.E.O for the DSNT page.

Thanks.

John04Date: Thursday, 10-Mar-2011, 9:42 PM | Message # 7
Colonel
And if the New Republic page could get updated to accomadate the positions that would be great Kal.

KalThanatosDate: Thursday, 10-Mar-2011, 9:50 PM | Message # 8
Original Site Manager
Ill get on it ASAP

Merkillum_VeersDate: Friday, 11-Mar-2011, 0:00 AM | Message # 9
Original Site member
Alright, now.... looking over the old Army makeup post..

A Regiment is 3027 units, and 256 Vehicles.

Based on planets... I would have 318 Regiments, assuming the Ecu would be 10 regiments.

However, in terms of battledroids, since they are (for the moment) inferior to human troops, would they count torwards those regiment limits? Also, looking at those numbers, one of my battleships could carry 107.42 regiments.

SO looking at this, while i put B1 battledroids as the troop being carried by the BS, would I have to put how many are where? And would battle droids count as half a regiment (Being half as effective) or as a full one? If full, what benefit do they serve in any respect other then story and flavor?

John04Date: Friday, 11-Mar-2011, 8:01 PM | Message # 10
Colonel
Are you counting defensive & offensive regiments together? Because only the offensive regiments are mobile.

And to answer what is probably an upcoming question, the defensive regiment thing is a kind of limit because it doesn't make sense for a primitive planet to be home to 50 regiments...

We typically don't count troops stationed aboard starships as part of the limit. So that would give you some additional firepower to deal towards an invasion.

As for what good they'd do...I say that in terms of official limits, a droid army would be cheaper to build than a regular army so maybe we could have it so that you can get 5 droid regiments for every planet instead of 3. The downside is that their firepower is cut by 1/3, in order to show lack of creativity and flexibility on the battlefield.

Sound good Kal?

Merkillum_VeersDate: Friday, 11-Mar-2011, 11:59 PM | Message # 11
Original Site member
Well, the way I inturpreted the Battalions, is that depedent on the level they had x battalions. So, I was looking at it.. a basic planet has a defense of 2, and provides 6.... where as a Metro would be home to 8, but provide 24 in a mobile force.

However, based on what you said, each planet produces 3 for an attack. So, I would have 60 regiments of troops mobile.. however if you don't count whats on starships, then what is this mobile force good for?

John04Date: Saturday, 12-Mar-2011, 6:14 AM | Message # 12
Colonel
To explain this the way I understand it, allow me to direct your attention to the US military. We have five branches: the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, & Coast Guard.

Each branch fields & operates its own aircraft. We have a dedicated air force branch, yet each seperate branch has attack helicopters and such that operate within their own dedicated chain of command.

Think of the mobile force as the dedicated Imperial Army while the regiments aboard your ships are a sort of auxiliary. They use similar ranks as the Army, but they report to either the ship's commander or the commanding officer of the task force they're in. The mobile force is typically able to drop its troops & vehicles off quickly without any real trouble, because usually the really heavy fighting is done-except for the ground battle of course-while the battleships that happen to carry large amounts of troops, they would have to first batter their way through the orbital defenses and THEN drop off troops, all the while defending itself against attack from reinforcements. Plus if you lose a troop transports, they're typically easy to replace. But if you lose a battleship...they can be a bit difficult due to the time they take to build. Plus you risk losing ground due to fleet losses that prevent you from adequetely defending your worlds.

I hope that clears things up for you.

KalThanatosDate: Saturday, 12-Mar-2011, 10:31 AM | Message # 13
Original Site Manager
This is how I feel. Yes it would be cheaper to build droids, but their overall performance would be slow on the battlefield. Seeing as how they don't really think for themselves, their firing wouldn't be as accurate as a life form's would be. So, I feel that John's suggestion would make sense for them. We can allow them to be built faster, but their firepower would be lower.

I would say this though. We keep the old resource list and build times, but we limit the amount for each planet. You correct, John, we wouldn't have 50 regiments on a primitive, or even a basic planet. That would just be silly. Here's what I'm think for planetary troop limits.

Primitive planets can have up to 3 regiments
Basic can have up to 5 regiments
Industrial can have up to 10 regiments
Metropolis can have up to 15 regiments
Ecumenopolis can have up to 20 regiments.

Now, those are just for the planetary defenses. Whatever you decide to station there above the planet is up to you. As for the total number for an army, I'd say that we only count the total of what is on the ships. That would be the mobile army, aka the Government Army (Imperial or Republic). The regiments stationed on the planets would be more of what we have here in the US. It would be either the Active Guard or Active Reserves. They would do their job on the planet, while the Active Duty forces would be the ones being deployed with the vessels around the Galaxy.

Back to droids, if this is fine with everyone, I would think since it is easier and more productive to build, we allow a 10 or 20% increase on the amount of droids that are assigned to the ship as part of the Army. It would make sense when thought about too, seeing as how their wouldn't be a need for consumables or even cabins, seeing as how droids have no need for either. It would open the ship up to carry more of them as needed.

Added (12-Mar-2011, 10:31 Am)
Here's another thing I'm thinking about.

In those regiments, we break it down even further.

In each regiment, we will have 2500 troops, 5 wheeled/tread, 5 repulsor, 7 walker.

That way, we can know exactly just how many ground vehicles will be involved. Now, I know that as of what is listed for the Republic, they only have tread and repulsor. They would get to divide the numbers for walkers up into the other two how ever they feel, but it must be listed before a battle. If not, then they only get the 5 and 5. Same would go for Imps, depending on what they have.

I would like to try and have ground battles, since we are going this far into it. Just don't sit there and give up the planet once the fleet has been destroyed, please.

Merkillum_VeersDate: Saturday, 12-Mar-2011, 11:42 AM | Message # 14
Original Site member
That was never my intention, I planned on having more vested in the Ground rather then the Air. But, thats for another time.

Alright, well, I have my battleships houseing B1 battledroids, and its compliment of AAT tanks.

Those are the only ships that will have droids on them, aside from my dark trooper regiments. But those are a special case.

Also, only because it may come up and itsn't directly written with the battleships, are they able to detach their core and land? I was going with yes, but want to make sure.

also just because I am curious John, what do you think of my fleets?

John04Date: Saturday, 12-Mar-2011, 12:32 PM | Message # 15
Colonel
For the core ship seperation thing, I want to say no for now. But if you can give Kal and me a suitable way for it work in gameplay, then we can revisit it.

As for your fleets Merk...I am curious, why do only half of your planets have defense fleets?

Added (12-Mar-2011, 12:32 PM)
And for Kal's thing, that will be real difficult because I actually have a diversified ground force when you factor in the R&D, including airspeeders. Those numbers seem kind of small. The system suggested by Rob worked on the old site-although nobody really used it-and it could work on this one. We could have it like this

3072 soldiers & 256 vehicles

24 Heavy Assault Vehicles
70 Medium Assault Vehicles
75 Light Assault Vehicles
75 Airspeeders
12 Troop Transports

Message edited by John04 - Saturday, 12-Mar-2011, 11:50 AM

Forum » Out of Character » OOC Area » Whats left
  • Page 1 of 3
  • »
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024