• Page 1 of 7
  • »
Forum » Out of Character » OOC Area » Site Death/outcomes
Site Death/outcomes
Merkillum_VeersDate: Monday, 21-Feb-2011, 3:29 AM | Message # 1
Original Site member
Group: Users
Alright, this post is for two reasons:

Reason one is to see who is still a regular checker of posts. From what I can gather, there is LordZ, John4, and Smootheye as the three at current. I am an avid checker of the board, but have not posted on any tag since I got discouraged, and feel this site has fallen on the habit it fell on in the past.

Which leads to point 2. Moderation. I am a Mod, from what I can tell, though it is as a faction Leader. I check once a day or every other day. Some mods, mainly the big three, have not been on in near a month. So, this leaves allot of things unresolved.... storylines, as many of them run faction leaders (or factions as the Imperials for example) this stagnates other possible RP's for characters. Site disputes are not able to be resolved in a timly fashion, and questions are left unanswered.

So, I wish to ask the players that may check, what solutions they may have for this conundrum. Do we just accept that this site hobbles by, and that nothing really ever gets accomplished? Do we have a active player take over mod duties, and run things his way?

I know I do not own the site, nor any material other then my own characters. However, that said, this site is dead for the most part, and so I want to know if this is something that will stay that way, or if there are options we can take to remedy it. Hopefully within the next week, some posts and ideas can go flowing through here, and we can get this site up and operational to some form of standard again.

So, what do people think, and if the Big Mods come on, what is their opinion on it? I know real life gets hectic sometimes. Happens to all of us. A word stating the Mods are busy, or out of town, or some guidelines to continue on with would be helpful.

Also, recruitment is something that needs discussion, but that can wait for another time. No ones going to join a site that looks like a crypt.

LordZarcaineDate: Monday, 21-Feb-2011, 4:40 AM | Message # 2
Lieutenant
I'd like to see Conflicts be as active as it once was during the time of MSN groups. The big thing that should be focused on is a Mod group that could act in the place of Admins when they're not available to be online. Mods that could approve bios, look over threads and answer questions when needed, etc etc like there used to be during msn groups. We'd also need to recruit new members to bring them on and get things started up again to help boost activity as well as bring back minor factions.

While yes it would be difficult because of such low activity now. But having minor factions would allow members to not only choose from the basic GA, Jedi, Imperial, Sith. They can choose something off the wall or another group that is often not put up on sites. While the Mando's are always in use on many sites as a group. We could put up the Chiss, or some other group that isnt used that often.

I know life can be hectic and is what is keeping many of the members away at this time. We could show an active site by giving some members who are trustworthy and can help, mod status to carry some of the weight.

Merkillum_VeersDate: Monday, 21-Feb-2011, 6:36 AM | Message # 3
Original Site member
Well, a definition of what a Mod can do may also help. I know I am a mod, but as far as I know, I only have control over my faction, and things related to such. But I need approval for things like R&D, planetary defense construction, fleet placement, ect.

The question I asked the admins I might as well ask here...
Does planetary position MEAN anything? I used the map for most of my planet choices when making my warlord. Some don't appear on the map (Grmoas and Apitros) so I placed them in that cluster with Exocron. Hoth is way out there on the fringe.

Why would the GA attack a planet with no resource advantage (Hoth didn't have any, other then its far flung position) when they should have reports (if they are getting reports about a small warlord on the farthest outter rim territroys possible, and finding his secret research facility in their first attack) that the Imperial Remnant is making aggressive moves and conquering (or were) systems. That would be the bigger threat. Now, I know that mainly it was due to the open season.

But I digress. Do where the planets stand on the map matter at all in the game? If not, why have a map at all?

Anyhow, that was one of the questions I had that I have not gotten an answer for. So, what are peoples opinions on this matter?

John04Date: Monday, 21-Feb-2011, 10:24 AM | Message # 4
Colonel
We could use a proper definition of what a moderator, that's for sure.

As for the planetary position, it's SUPPOSED to provide a way to guesstimate how long it would take for reinforcements to arrive. Towards the end on the old site, we had a hyperspace route system in place. Granted we had a way better map than the one we have now.

As for why I picked that planet, couple reasons. One: It seemed fitting for the GA to wipe out an Imperial warlord's holding on the planet. Two: I had never really done an honor based damage system and I needed to sink my teeth into it.

I believe that we need to step up and take control of the site. I don't know about Zarcaine, but both Smooth-eye & I both have managerial experience from MSN Conflicts so we could both take up moderator tasks such as bio, R&D, and other assorted roles. We're both active enough to do it. However, we need to see what EXACTLY you can do Merk. We need to know. Are you able to alter things on the site? Could you find out?

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power...

IlanahThanatosDate: Monday, 21-Feb-2011, 10:44 AM | Message # 5
Lieutenant colonel
I know that Kal has been slammed at work but he did say he would be on a bit today...so maybe he can answer some of this. Just sayin'. Wish I could be more help or whatnot....but I have talked a couple friends from another comm into joining. smile

Smooth-eyeDate: Monday, 21-Feb-2011, 5:46 PM | Message # 6
Lieutenant
I'm willing to do whatever needs to be done so we can get things resolved, and increase activity. Like john, stated, we both were in management on Conflicts, and the olny reason I gave up my manager status there was for health reasons. As for the map, I may be able to aquire a better one. If we could get veers a managment title/wit hall the privlages, that would be sweet.

"No, no officer...Trust me, why would I smuggle something illegal into your fine juristiction. Can't we come to some agreement?"

John04Date: Monday, 21-Feb-2011, 6:01 PM | Message # 7
Colonel
Yes that would be sweet. I also have access to a better map. But the best map I've found is actually a compilation of maps from The Essential Atlas book. It has the largest number of possible planets plus a number of routes. The maps include all the major regions plus a map of Chiss, Mon Calamari, Centrality, Hapan, and CSA space.

Zarcaine mentioned about how we had minor factions back on msn. The original pair of minor factions were the Chiss and the CSA. Chiss was always more popular and the CSA got wiped out by Steve and the SDS early on. I was always interested in the Hapes Consortium, with its battle dragons and such.

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power...

KalThanatosDate: Monday, 21-Feb-2011, 8:00 PM | Message # 8
Original Site Manager
I think that we need to restart the site and build from there. Not everyone knows about events that led up to where we are in our time line. We need to start off with a new time line. Something either after the CW's or after RotJ. That is where, I believe, a lot of people would know more about.

Then, once we have established that, we can move on and begin with our factions. I enjoy the space battles and all, but I think that we should lean more towards the rping side of things. There are tons of possibilities that we can explore.

John04Date: Monday, 21-Feb-2011, 8:57 PM | Message # 9
Colonel
Hmmm. That could work. I like the idea of starting right after Return of the Jedi. From there we could balance space battles and regular rping. We could get the Jedi started in that area maybe, but the Sith would be rather problematic considering it. Obviously we'll need warlords and some minor factions. Probably the Chiss and the Hapans. I'll see if I can come up with a list of planets for each faction tonight. Probably twenty-five planets for the Empire & Rebels, fifteen for the minor factions.

LordZarcaineDate: Monday, 21-Feb-2011, 9:21 PM | Message # 10
Lieutenant
If John sends me that list I can color code the Map with each factions color.

As for restarting the site, I've seen many sites restart and bomb. It would be difficult to get it remade. I think we should keep what we have now and come up with a history time line to help new members. This time line would start from the Clone Wars start at 32 BBY, and would come up to the current time which is what 35-37 ABY? I could work on that and get that put up with in a couple days.

Merkillum_VeersDate: Tuesday, 22-Feb-2011, 4:44 AM | Message # 11
Original Site member
Well, I can 'suppose' approve bios and the like, and other such things. As for editing the site, as a Faction Leader, I have some control of that.. not sure how much.

I would not mind (partly selfish reasons :P ) a reboot of the site at current. Not a whole new timeline considering, but something more RP then 'my fleets bigger then your fleet'. One thing about the battles that turned me off, was the number crunching. Honor based should be just that. A ISD cannonly can take out damn near any kind of ship, cruisers, destroyer classes. Heavy dcruisers, such as MOn Cal Cruisers held their own, and fighters usually raped the crap outta them.

But even keeping the numbers and everything, battles to me were a bit overwhelming when thrown in to THAT large a number. But thats just a personal thing for me.

Also, with most systems, larger fleets win over smaller fleets, and army vs army. I don't see much of a way for the smaller army to win against the larger one. Now, realistically, its very difficult for this to happen, but it has and continues to happen.

To Lord Z, this site IS a restart :P So it is sort of bombing as is. I would not be opposed to right after the Galactic Civil War. I would not be opposed to a completely diffrent and unique story that does not really have anything to do with the cannonical one. Plenty of things could be done.

Allot of my R&D was going to be primarily story based. One of the things I got approved early on, was story only. I couldn't really use it in battles, or mass produce it on any kind of scale. It was a jedi killing poison. The higher the Mediclorian count, the worse the effects. but, thats another tale.

Now, space travel is a tricky type of thing. There are set routs used by everyone. Few (to my knowladge) try making new ones. Any planet is within reach, but it takes time. Also, you could be intercepted along the way with a well placed hyperspace disruptor along a well known hyperroute. I favor the story, more then I favor the 'I need to win' type. Now, I know people got to die and I know that things need to happen and battles need to go forward to keep the site up and alive.

I am willing to help where I can. the reason I came back is because i DO like this game, but the lack of mod or admin support lead it to be pretty slow, and uneventful. I hope to change that, and I have had people look at the site before. But they are fantasy type players not sci fi. So it did not hold much appeal to them. I can make an advertisment on a network called Roleplayonline, or RPOL. Perhaps I can get some players from some of those games to join.

I don't want this site to die, I don't want my faction to die :P But regardless, there would need to be changes. Also, I would request, though you can take a vote on it, that the three attacks on my planets (Apothros, Hoth, and Mykr though that one hasn't gone anywhere) be excluded or redone. But again, I understand that I was target for Open Season, and that was a primary reason I was attacked due to my quitting.

John04Date: Tuesday, 22-Feb-2011, 9:20 AM | Message # 12
Colonel
- to zarcaine: if you want I can create a history that leads up as far as 43 ABY which is far as the books go at this point. From what I've been told, the site is at 51 ABY. The history would be simple, just covering the highlights like major battles and events. I'll also put down the book covering that event/battle in case someone wants to read it.

- with space travel, on msn Conflicts we had it so each individual jump on the route system took 12 ooc hours while a jump of any length along the major routes was 12 ooc hours. It was supposed to allow for more strategic thinking in battles.

- (I thought our space battle numbers were pretty small...)

- Right after the Galactic Civil War...that would be interesting, we could bypass the whole Yuuzhan Vong Invasion and create something entirely new! I'd be up for that.

Added (22-Feb-2011, 9:20 Am)
---------------------------------------------
- I could do R&D. The thing that drew me to Legacy of the Empire was R&Ding. Everything else came after that.

Message edited by John04 - Tuesday, 22-Feb-2011, 9:19 AM

KalThanatosDate: Tuesday, 22-Feb-2011, 6:14 PM | Message # 13
Original Site Manager
I do think that we should begin this just after the Civil War. We would be able to take it which ever route we want. It would allow the Rebellion to become the Alliance and build up their resources again, and allow the once was Empire to attempt to make a come back of sorts. The Sith could be taken off, and allow Zarcaine to run his little faction. There can be events that we can come up with as we go along. We don't always have to follow Canon here to the T.

I know as far as Admin goes, right now I'm the highest one that is active. If everyone is cool with it, I can oversee things and if I have the permissions to, I would assign people to certain levels for them to be able to Mod over things.

First off, we need to decide whether we are rebooting the site and jumping back. Then, we can go from there and make additions or deletions.

Merkillum_VeersDate: Tuesday, 22-Feb-2011, 7:27 PM | Message # 14
Original Site member
Reply to John4 bullet 3

Ya, thats what has me a bit worried :P How large is an Imperial Stormtrooper Regiment anyhow?

Kal, since you are the most active mod, I would support you being able to make the changes and stuff. I would need to edit my character some if we are to restart, but thats easy enough to do. Same concept, half the age and experiance :P

As for R&D, I am up for anything. I have no experiance with it so I have no idea what it really entails. I can come up with great ideas, but not sure how to work them into the mechanics. Still, there are allot of planets out there :P

Alright, well.. I have a few story ideas that we could use. But how would the tech levels work, since some of what we have was developed a while after the civil war, such as the Scimitar Bombers? Would we just place them in anyhow?

So, with that fall, there would be no 'united' empire then? My understanding, is that after the emperors death the fleets broke up into warlord type of situations, trying to claim emperor. Of course, Thrawn did his own thing, using his own fleet and united some of the Imperial Factions, but it wasn't till later that the IR was formed. I could be wrong though, the EU is something I am not too familure with.

Smooth-eyeDate: Tuesday, 22-Feb-2011, 8:17 PM | Message # 15
Lieutenant
I support you Kal in what ever needs to be done. If we reboot, I'm cool with that too. Post destruction of Death Star II is a great time to begin anew. Like already posted, Dark Jedi yes, no Sith, or Jedi Counsel. Jedi would only be few, and far between. Mostly aligned with the Rebel Alliance. Some one can worl on establishing a JEdi Order though. We can't have the original heroes and villians still alive either. Perhaps the DS2 was destroyed, and the shield generator on Endor was disabled, but perhaps no survivors. They just didnt get out in time, thus creating a vaccum that we can insert out own characters into.

The Empire was broken up into several warlords. Most of the Moff's were either murdered or brought to jistice soon after the Battle of Endor. The various Admirals and Captains that escaped/not part of the BoE (Battle of Endor), regrouped and try to proclaim themselves as Emperor, thus throwing them into an internal civil war. Thrawn reappearance is what brought the IR back into a true power player.

Kal could head up his Imperial faction, and give it a catchy Imperial name, John's and my Jedi chatacters could decide to rebuild the JediOrder, Zarcaine could establish his own Sith as he sees fit, and Veers could be at the center of the Galactic Republic. PLus we can still have various other characters, bounty hunters, smugglers, crime lords...etc

"No, no officer...Trust me, why would I smuggle something illegal into your fine juristiction. Can't we come to some agreement?"

Forum » Out of Character » OOC Area » Site Death/outcomes
  • Page 1 of 7
  • »
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024